GCDF is a credential program developed to offer recognition to career development professionals worldwide and promote a philosophy of lifelong learning. It represents the solution for training and certifying, nationally and internationally, career counselors that support their clients in the development of their career by offering counseling and professional orientation services, assisting in fulfilling their goals and taking informed decision regarding their career.
Founded on the Career Development Facilitator project, a collaborative effort initiated in 1997 by the Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE), the National Career Development Association (NCDA) and the National Occupational Information Coordinating Committee (NOICC), the GCDF program has grown to offer customization for country-specific needs.
Currently, the GCDF is offered in 17 countries: Bulgaria, Canada, China, Cyprus, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Japan, Macedonia, New Zealand, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and the United States.
Currently, there are over 500 certified GCDFs in Romania.
The GCDF certification program has been introduced in both public and private sectors in various types of institutions (e.g., universities, employment agencies, businesses, etc.) Below are just of few of the observed benefits of the program.
Specific Benefits for GCDF Graduates
- Develop a systemic and reflexive manner of thinking when it comes to approaching their professional development and career management issues.
- Practice communication skills and (self) assessment abilities within the context of their own professional path.
- Learn to optimize personal activities in order to get more benefits in their career.
- Enjoy constant support by becoming part of a large national and international GCDF community.
- Have constant access to continuing education offers in order to constantly improve their skills and abilities.
- Have access to various resources through the counseling library hosted by NBCC Romania.
- Have the option of a double certification – international (GCDF, offered by CCE) and national ( Orientation counselor regarding the career, offered by ANC, code 242306)
General Benefits for the Business Sector:
GCDF provides HR staff with knowledge about labor market, typical access paths to jobs, career strategies and career management, and with a set of useful tools for:
- Building up networks for recruitment.
- Conducting job interviews.
- Matching job requirements and skills.
- Detecting strengths and weaknesses of employees.
- Early detection, selection and development of future leaders.
- Finding the appropriate incentives to solve motivation problems of employees and decrease dropouts.
- Avoiding job stress, early burn-out, and fluctuation.
- Dealing with ethnical, culturally etc. diverse employees, teams, and populations
- Better allocation of human resources
General Benefits for Universities
- Helps universities to extend their educational offer by providing a credential in career development.
- Supports the universities’ efforts to provide to the public quality certification programs that reach beyond the diploma course, by covering continuous education activities, permanent supervision for the professional growth of the graduates, ethical issues management – everything within the framework of strict educational and professional guidelines.
- Supports graduates to easier find jobs and, as a direct consequence, the university can attract future students.
- Help graduates to expand their list of opportunities in the field of Human Resources (HR) because the GCDF credentialing is not provided in strict connection with their major.
„For me, GCDF was the start of my career. Career counseling has become a passion that I transpose everyday in my activity. It offered me numerous opportunities to meet career counseling specialist from the whole world, to participate to very interesting events and projects.
I recommend this course to those who wish to develop personally and professionally, who interact with people or want to offer them support. The utility of this course will be reflected in the quality of the relationships with people, the capacity to better understand them and help them.
It is a course that offers you a new perspective regarding professionalism and structure, as well as actualized information and career counseling best practices”
Mirela Toma, Human Resources Consultant, Trainer GCDF